These blocks came together very quickly. The technique is easy, but I don’t think it leads to a lot of precision. At least the way I did it.
They need to be trimmed down to 9 1/2″ rather than 10″. There are several spots where the pieces don’t reach to the seam allowance. That will make it less likely that the seams will match up, but I’m okay with that on this attempt. If I decide to do another, I will try to improve my technique.
I put this block into EQ7 and played with the layout. I thought making 1/2 burst blocks would be fun, but once I loaded it into the layout, it just looks boring. I started making blocks in different colors in EQ7, but it just got too boring. It is a good tool for organizing layouts, but I need to get into the fabric.
I also set the blocks so that the points don’t match. I really like the pinwheel look, and this way the non-matching points don’t matter. I did use some 1/2 blocks on this one, too.
After finishing the blocks, I lost a little bit of steam. trimming all of the blocks will take a bit, and I have a few other projects to work on over the next two weeks. I’m planning on trimming and finishing this one off at the end of the month. I have some quilting ideas I want to play with, and I think this will be the perfect opportunity.
I still have to decide on a border. The sample shows a pieced border, but it doesn’t speak to me.
Definitely head over to Rob’s website and check out the block and watch the tutorial. It is a fun way to play with a layer cake or bust some stash.