I like to collect washi tape. I use it, too, although not with scrap booking or journaling. Occasionally a piece makes it into my planner, but I don’t usually bother with that. No, I collect it, and sometimes go through my collection and pet it. It’s so cute. Once in a blue moon my son uses it to embellish a school project. Lucky for him, my washi isn’t all girly. I’m very excited to have found a new use for it in my studio, other than marking a line on my sewing machine for 1/2 square triangle stitching.
I’ve been working on another Quilt of Valor this week. The piecer requested traditional stars and a wavy background. I ordered a nested star ruler set from Quilter’s Apothecary to mark the stars (any excuse to buy one of Jaime’s tools works for me). To mark the star, I used a Marks Be Gone pen, but the marks keep coming back, which is annoying. I’m waiting to see how it responds to Sew Clean instead of water.
Rather than leave a big open star (boring), I decided to do a fill. One thing I learned in class was to set off a quilted design by leaving a bit of open space around the shape. I decided to use my arc ruler and try a curved cross hatch. I have only done it on paper so far. With the ruler I’m using, you set a center line to align the ruler to to keep everything properly shaped. Since I’m having an issue with my marking tool, I decided to use Washi tape for the registration line instead.
I chose to use the two inner “legs” of the star for my alignment.
I line up the ruler with the first leg, and lay a piece of washi down along the ruler edge. I run my fingernail over it to encourage it to stick to the quilt. Otherwise, it flips and sticks to the ruler sliding over it.
I align my arc ruler with the chosen line. I use washi on the bottom of the ruler to indicate my spacing line, too.
Stitch the arcs out slowly, using a straight ruler to travel along the previously stitched star edge between arcs. Super tedious, but so worth the extra effort.
At the part of the star where it divides, I finish one “leg” then move over and do the other, to prevent going back and forth multiple times.
Once I’m done, I mark the other side and stitch it all up.
Where I’ve sewn across the washi it peels right up, without disturbing the stitches.
Tah dah! I love how this looks. There is a little wobble on this one in the middle – no worries, it just shows where I pulled out some stitches where I wandered away from the ruler. It will disappear once washed.
I will share an update once I’ve finished the whole quilt. I am really happy with how it is coming along. Hopefully I’ll have fully kicked this nasty virus soon and be back to quilting full speed.