This project has taken longer than I expected it would. Part of it is lack of motivation – my studio is still not 100% set up, so I avoid going in there. While I do love the look of the quilt, I’ve been a little disappointed with the quality of the pattern. It wasn’t a huge factor, but the numbers for cut pieces weren’t accurate, and there are only cutting numbers for the smaller of the two quilts. Sometimes I like to cut a little, sew a little, but with this project I wanted to cut it all and sew it all. That said, I do love the quilt, so I would suggest just going over the layout you want to use, and count the pieces yourself.
I made some adjustments to get a size I liked. I finished the smaller design, and I felt it was just too small for a sofa quilt. I did some maths, and cut up another pair of jeans. I’m very happy with the completed top.
These are some block configurations I came up with myself. I like lots of the small squares together. I also would prefer more symmetry, and less randomness.
In the past I spent some time undoing stitches on jeans. It feels like probably a waste of time versus how much more denim you get, but you can get some really groovy effects with the unfaded bits.
The backing is prepared, using up 3 pieces of flannel from my stash. I plan on basting, quilting and binding next week. Quilting will probably just be stitch in the ditch. I’m not wild about free-motioning with denim, and I’m not using batting. This will be my first quilty finish of the new year.
My denim pile doesn’t seem to have gotten any smaller, and I have the beginnings of two more denim quilts cut out. Sigh. Denim will be on hold for a bit now – I’m bored with it. Next I will finish off a t-shirt quilt to finish for a friend. I think 3 years is long enough to wait.